Just outside Kirkintiloch on the main road to Kilsyth is the stone which commemorates the death of two martyrs John Wharry
and James Smith who suffered 'unto death' for their faith on 13th June 1683.
The Meikle Bin is a popular hill for climbing and has fine views from the top. It can be reached from Queenzieburn or Balcastle via Corrie
, Birkenburn Reservoir and Black Hill. The walk is suitable for the experienced walker, taking 6 hours for the round trip.
Situated between Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch, Queenzieburn lies up the hill to the
north of the main road. A small community in its own right, it has splendid views to the south over the valley to Castle Hill.
Further west down the valley from Kilsyth lies the village of Twechar. It is the
next crossing place over the canal west of Auchinstarry. The bridge here has been replaced with a modern replacement as part of the canal renovations. From Twechar to Kirkintilloch the road follows the canal with fine views over the bird-rich wetlands in the Kelvin Valley lying at the foot of the Kilsyth Hills.